What is Social Media Marketing?
Social Media offers direct access to an insanely large user base, we only need to look at facebook to acknowledge this fact. Business Insider recently reports on average 1.44 billion monthly users spend an average of 20 minutes on facebook a day.
So the question! Social Media Marketing is the use of social media platforms like instagram, facebook, linkedin, youtube and Google+, where by the creation of a business profile you create opportunity for existing and potential customers to engage and interact with your business.
Why is Social Media Marketing important?
Making use of Social Media in your business, it’s like putting a sign outside your customers bedroom window saying ‘Pick me, I have the product or service you are looking for‘.
Through simply being online, being active and promoting your business, services and products through social media, you’re creating content which gets you in front of your customer base and new clientèle. It simply keeps you fresh and front of mind.
An example to better clarify this is, let’s just say you business is side by side with your number 1 competitor and on the outside of their building they have all this great sign-age welcoming you in, yet you simply have your business name on a small sign hanging from the door. I know which business I would be more inclined to walk into.
By not using Social Media as a Marketing platform you are restricting your business growth.
Tips for beginners starting out on Social Media
Choose your social media platforms wisely. With over 250 social media platforms available, some are going to be better suited to your business. The staples are facebook, google+, twitter, linkedin and instagram.
Keep your profile simple, clean and make it easy for the visitor to get in contact or visit your website. Below are some examples.
- Use real photos, photos that you have taken and don’t use fake images. Show your face, avoid using animals and connect with your customer base.
- Complete your profile, don’t leave it half finished and spend some money on a great banner design, which can also be used to promote your products and services.
- Write a fantastically good company description. We are working on brand trust here and well written content about your business and values will help to do this.
- Include a link to your website and make sure there is further contact details readily accessible, we want to make it as easy as possible for your visitor to get in touch.
Social Media buttons on your Website is a must have!
Why go to all that effort to write a great piece on why your product or service is sensation, without giving your customer the ability to click a button and share it on one of their favourite social media platforms.
Having social media buttons on your website allows the visitor to share your article, product or page on their personal social media profile. With a simple click and share button you are now in front of all their friends or followers.
Share great and interesting Content
I get it, puppies are cute and yes I love my dog but unless you are a pet store selling puppies, I’d suggest looking into other more relevant content to share with your followers.
In business we are constantly working to stay ahead of the pack, reading and learning about our industry or product and just what is out there readily available to take advantage off or add to our business to improve our service or serviceability.
So write about it, share it, show case it and sell it.
Now not every post shouldn’t be a sales post, you simply need to keep the content fresh, informative, fun and at times yes whack that special up, promote that brilliant new product you just got in or remind people that you offer a sensational service.
People are more likely to spend when they choose to engage with you.
Other important Do’s and Dont’s to Consider
- You can post many times in one day but don’t over do it, every post you submit doesn’t get to all of your followers, so posting regularly isn’t a bad thing.
- Find, follow and join groups and niches that are specific to you and your business.
- Don’t forget to like or follow back but keep a balance of followers vs following.
- Content you share doesn’t have to always be yours, by sharing other content you are again creating trust and that you are knowledgeable in your field of expertise.
- Follow the T&C’s, read them and I mean actually read them, it is important to know the rules.
- Build a marketing strategy and measure your results, if you are constantly working on your strategy to improve it you will only improve your end results.
Social Media offers an invaluable medium to engage and connect with your existing and potential clientèle.
By defining a clear social media marketing strategy and measuring your results as you progress, you are only going to improve your return for time and dollars spent in this area.
Taking your time to build great profiles on each social media platform, relevant to your business and promoting, sharing and creating great content will grow your business online.