Optimising your website.
If you own a website, you want people to find it – the best way is through search engine optimisation (SEO). Optimising your site for search engines can improve your visibility in search results, leading to more visitors and, ultimately, more customers.
But SEO isn’t just about improving your visibility in search results. It’s also about improving the quality of your website so that visitors stay longer and are more likely to convert into customers.
Several different factors contribute to a website’s SEO, and it can be a complex and time-consuming task to get it right. However, it’s worth the effort as it can significantly impact your business.
Website content; the quality and quantity.
The quality and quantity of the website’s content play a vital role in search engine optimisation because it is one of the main factors that search engines use to determine a website’s relevancy and authority.
The more high-quality, relevant content a website has, the more likely it is to rank high in search engine results.
Set the standard of your content.
- Website content should be well-written and free of grammatical errors.
- Website content should be relevant to the website’s purpose and target audience.
- Website content should be updated regularly to ensure that it is current and accurate.
Leveraging the quantity of content to rank in search engines.
- The more content you have, the more likely people will find your site through a search engine.
- The more content you have, the more keywords you can target, improving your search engine rankings.
- The more content you have, the more likely people will link to your site, improving your search engine rankings.
Website design and user experience.
The website’s design and user experience affect how users interact with the site and how easy it is for them to find the information they are after.
A well-designed website will make it easy for users to navigate the site and find the information they need. In contrast, a poorly designed website will be challenging to use and may frustrate users, causing them to leave the site without finding what they were after.
Search engines use user experience as a factor in their ranking algorithms so that a well-designed website will improve a site’s search engine results.
Improve your website’s design and user experience.
- Use cleaner, simpler designs.
- Improve the navigation and overall user experience.
- Pay more attention to typography and whitespace.
- Make sure your website is responsive, so it is viewable on all devices.
- Use clear and concise titles with supporting visuals, so users can easily find the information they want.
- Use strong calls to action to encourage users to take the desired action.
Website load speed.
The loading speed of a website is a crucial factor in search engine optimisation because it is one of the many factors that search engines use to rank websites. A faster-loading website will generally rank higher than a slower-loading website.
Five areas you can work on to improve your website speed.
- Use a content delivery network (CDN)
- Optimise your images
- Minimise HTTP requests
- Use caching
For a more comprehensive breakdown of improving your website speed, explore our article on the top 5 ways to improve your website speed.
A mobile friendly website.
The website’s mobile friendliness is essential for two reasons: first, because more and more people are using mobile devices to access the internet, and second, because search engines are increasingly considering mobile-friendliness when ranking websites in their results.
There are a few key ways to improve your website’s mobile friendliness and responsiveness:
- Use a responsive design: This ensures that your website automatically adjusts to fit the screen size of multiple devices.
- Use large, easy-to-tap buttons and links: Mobile users often use their fingers to navigate, so it’s essential to ensure that your buttons and links are large enough to be tapped easily.
- Use clear and concise text: Mobile users typically have a shorter attention span than desktop users, so it’s essential to ensure your text is clear and concise.
- Avoid using pop-ups: Pop-ups can be very annoying on mobile devices and can often block the content that users are trying to view.
Website backlink profile.
A backlink is an inbound link to a website. Backlinks are essential for search engine optimisation because they factor in how search engines rank websites.
A website with a higher number of backlinks is more likely to rank higher in search engine results.
The quality of a backlink matters.
A backlink profile is a collection of all the backlinks pointing to a website. The quality of backlinks is vital because it is one of the major factors that search engines use to rank websites.
A website with many high-quality backlinks will tend to rank higher in search engine results pages than a website with many low-quality backlinks.
Citation and directory backlinks explained.
A directory or citation backlink is a link from a directory website to your website. These backlinks help to improve your website’s search engine rankings by increasing the number of inbound links pointing to your website.
These sites allow businesses to fill out their name, address, phone number, website URL, description, and hours of operation.
If you want to build your directory listings, here is a link to a list of Australian Business Directories.
Social media activity.
The website’s social media activity plays a vital role in search engine optimisation and search engine results because it helps to create backlinks to the website, which in turn helps to improve the website’s search engine ranking.
In addition, social media activity can help generate website traffic, which can also lead to higher search engine rankings.
As you can see, SEO is vital when you build a website. It helps your site to be found by potential customers and makes it easier for them to find what they are looking for, and you should include it as part of your website development plan.
A well-optimised website will also help to build trust with your audience and show them that you are an expert in your field.
SEO should be at the top of your list of priorities when developing your website if you want to succeed online.